Monday, June 4, 2012

Six months on...

The past few months have been a whirlwind... we have been going going going. We have had a long list of incredible experiences, and checked quite a few things off of Tony's bucket list.
  • In February, we loaded and fired the cannon in an MIA2 tank in Fort Benning, GA.
  • We went skydiving. 
  • We drove a Bugatti Veyron, the fastest road car in the world. 
  • We spent spring break in N. Myrtle Beach, SC with the girls.
  • We spent our 10 year anniversary in Aruba.
  • We got a hot tub to help with Tony's muscle cramps.
  • We got a service dog to help out Tony.  
  • There was a feature on Tony in a Scottish national newspaper. 
  • And lots more little adventures with lots of smiles and laughs... 
I have to admit, I feel a little spoiled by all of this. I never imagined in a million years that we would drive a Bugatti, but I seemed to take it in stride. I booked the trip to Aruba on a whim (what is a little credit card debt in the face of a terminal illness?), but when we were there, it felt like the most natural place for us to be. It's almost like I am getting used to a life of luxury trips and once-in-a-lifetime experiences! 

At the same time, we are settling into a different routine at home. I am getting used to doing more around the house, so that Tony can rest more. Louise is getting more independent, which makes it all easier. And we hired a cleaning lady. I feel guilty about spending the money, but it is so nice not to have to do as much on the weekends! Summer is just a few days away, and I am looking forward to having more time to tackle a few projects at home, spend time with the girls and rest a bit.

It's been a little more than 6 months since Tony's diagnosis, and I feel everyone in the family has come to terms with it a little more. I know that I am not as likely to spontaneously burst into tears (it still happens, just not as often) and our families also seem to be doing better. I think a little of the initial shock has worn off, and it really helps that Tony stays so positive. We have noticed a progression/decline, but so far it is fairly manageable. Tony says that he has ALS, but ALS is not his life. I have heard that from several other ALS patients we follow, and the positive mental attitude seems to makes a huge difference. We also have another saying... "fuck ALS." I absolutely refuse to plan for a future without him... I am too stubborn. I will fight as long and as hard as I need to!

I guess what all this boils down to, is that I feel extremely lucky. We have had some amazing experiences that we never would have had without Tony's diagnosis. I have loved being by his side for all of them. Without his diagnosis, we might have never gone anywhere for our anniversary, and I am so glad we did! All this makes us take a little more notice of the special moments, and try to make as many memories as possible. Our time together might be cut short, but we can now make the most of it before that happens. I feel very lucky to have the love of that man for the last 10 years... and I can't wait for the next 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment