Thursday, February 23, 2012

Therapy?

Not for the first time in my life, I am wondering if I should start seeing a therapist. I (logically) know that I can't control everything, but it is harder to put that into practice. And especially now, I find so many things weighing on me that I sometimes feel unable to cope. There is (of course) Tony's diagnosis and the ways that is changing our lives... I really try not to think about what the future will bring, mainly because I don't want to dwell on it. However, I still have my moments!

But, there are so many other aspects to our busy lives as well. Taking care of two small kids, a job that is very demanding and negotiating everything else as well... how much longer will Tony work, when can we go to have a little time away, how can we include our families as much as possible while still having time for just the four of us, when will I go grocery shopping, blah blah blah... it never ends! I know I am certainly not alone in this feeling of being overwhelmed. It is something that nearly all adults go through, probably especially mommies.

So I went down to talk to the guidance counselor that I work with. And he was a huge help! He actually didn't recommend therapy, just a bitch session with my friends. I think he is right, but I admit that I don't want to have a massive breakdown with my friends. However, I think that makes me a crazy person... we have had so many people offer to help and so many people specifically tell me that they are happy to listen anytime. I have been urging Tony to make some changes in his life in order to accommodate the changes in his body. I guess I just need to listen to my own advice! I can't control everything and I can't do this alone... so WATCH OUT FRIENDS... meltdown Amanda might be visiting you soon! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment